Monday, October 19, 2009

Splintered Light 15mm vs Caesar 1/72 Fantasy

Once again, I'm dabbling with my boxes of 1/72 Caesar's figures. We own a box of Elves, Undead, and Ch'in Chinese. A few months ago, the kind folks at Splintered Light sent me a sample pack of their 15mm figures from their Splintered Light range, which mostly are sculpted by Bob Olley.

Tonight, I snapped a couple quick comparison photos of the two ranges side-by-side. Wanting to show off the great detail on these figures, I kept the full-size photos at their 500k size. To me, the figures work great together. In the photos are some dwarves, a kobold, bugbear, goblins, Druid's children, saytr, and animals.

Dwarves Will Be Dwarves
The SL dwarves are about the right size, though a tad taller would have been nice. Yes, Caesar makes a box of dwarves, but they make only one box. Splintered Light's Bob Olley dwarves gives a gamer much more variety. Still, having taller cousins (or shorter cousins depending on one's point of view) might not be that bad after all. The choice is yours.

Mixing & Matching Other SL Figures
I would not mix 1/72 figures with some of the other SL figures in their older ranges, though I am curious how their orcs would compare with 1/72 figures. Yes, Caesar makes a box of orcs and a box of goblins, but once again that is the extent of their range.

So there you have it. I don't want to jaw on. Check the photos and decide for yourself.

For more photos and info on Caesar's several fantasy sets, see Plastic Soldier Review.



2 comments:

  1. You can take a look at my orc comparison at: http://72-multiverse.blogspot.com/2009/07/orc.html
    Personally, I'd use the SLM orcs as goblins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your comparison. That's the nice thing about non-human models—they match up well with other scales. I'm using 1/72 Caesar goblins as hip-high gremlins for my 28mm models.

    I've had a Caesar fantasy project on the back burner for a while. I've spent more time writing about it than actually doing anything.

    Yes, don't forget those 1/72 Dark Alliance orcs.

    ReplyDelete

Sadly, I have to approve all comments to weed out nasty spammers.